Turnkey solutions for crankcases
HELLER CBC process chain
HELLER expands the process chain in crankcase manufacturing – comprising qualification, pre-machining and finish-machining – by the CBC CylinderBoreCoating process. CBC is a technology for the coating of cylinder bores of aluminium crankcases using electric arc wire spraying. For this new process, HELLER has developed the CBC 200 coating module.
- The CBC technology is a dependable process used in high-volume combustion engine production
- The CBC coating results in a 50% reduction in friction forces between the cylinder and the piston ring
- The elimination of cast liners enables a more compact crankcase design and significantly reduced cylinder bore spacing. This results in a reduction in engine size and weight savings
- All cylinder surfaces of current passenger car and truck engines with bore diameters ranging from 70mm to 150mm can be coated using the CBC process
- Pre-machining including fineboring and roughing of cylinder surfaces on a HELLER MC 20 machining module
- Heating of the crankcase
- Coating of the cylinder surfaces without structural changes of the aluminium base material in the CBC 200 coating module
- Precise finish-machining including hard fineboring on a HELLER MC 20 machining module and final „Spiegel-Honen“ (polishing by honing)
HELLER CBC 200 machining module
- The CBC module is ready for use in series production
- All process-relevant media are controlled
- Automatic workpiece / adapter changer for reduced idle times
- Automatic wire change with integrated wire-cutting mechanism and wire preparation during the coating process
- Optimised accessibility, maintenance-friendly burner unit, global service availability
- X/Y/A: 750mm / 610mm / +/- 47°
- Clamping surface: 800mm x 460mm
- Tool length: max. 600mm
- Max. pallet loading capacity: 150kg (incl. fixture)
- Rapid traverse (X/Z): 40 m/min
- Acceleration (X/Z): 5 m/s²
- Burner speed: max. 300rpm
Coating speed: approx. 30 sec. per bore workpiece
Changing time: approx. 20 sec.
Burner and wire change time: approx. 180 sec.
Engine types: I3 to V12
By the end of 2016, 32 CBC 200 machining modules will have been delivered and installed. Until 2018, a total of 65 systems for the coating of 26 million cylinder bores worldwide will be in operation. (updated: November 2016)
- European Business Award for the Environment (2014)
- R&D 100 Award (2014)
- German Innovation Award for Climate and the Environment (IKU) (2013)
Would you like to learn more about the CBC technology?
Contact us! We will be pleased to answer any of your questions.